Tuesday 18 October 2011

Women of the Year Lunch 2011

Meeting Katie Piper and Hetty Bower

Well the lunch was amazing as I expected, what an honour to be in the room with some many extraordinary women all achieving in a diverse range of fields....including me! I even had my picture up on the huge TV screen (that was a bit embarrassing!) I was delighted to meet Julia Donaldson the children's Laureate who gave me some great contacts and advice regarding breaking into the world of publishing. I chatted with celebs, journalists and a real suffragette Hetty Bower,who at 105 is still a peace campaigner, wow what a a spirit! I also had the delight of meeting Katie Piper who's series I had followed on channel 4. She had acid thrown in her face by an ex boyfriend and from her awful experience has created a charity to support people with disfigurement (The Katie Piper Foundation).....if you haven't seen the series you must watch it.Katie is a goddess and such a sparkly light of energy despite her emotional and physical scars.....I was truly honored to meet her.
What I take away from this lunch is that all these amazing women have a purpose that is bigger than their own gain, they are angels making a difference to the world...........
Now I must go and shine my light and get to work on bringing my beautiful picture books into publication to inspire children and adults worldwide!

2 comments: